Many of you have heard the story of our new armoire- I finally have some pictures to post. This summer, John found a huge piece of furniture on the side of the road in our neighborhood early one morning. Apparently, someone was moving and didn't want to lug the thing to their next place (it had a "please take me away" sign on it). We had been wanting an armoire for our tv for a long time, so John got his short, collapsible dolly he uses for camera equipment and somehow was able to carry the massive thing to our apartment. It's so heavy that when I later tried to help him move it across the floor, I couldn't even push it an inch. It actually looks to be in better shape in this picture than how it actually was.

We didn't like the stain of the wood, and its former owners hadn't taken very good care of it, so it needed a little work. After a lot of thought and discussion, we settled on the idea of painting it. John studied how to paint furniture, and decided to make it two tone, white and black. He sanded it down, bought special brushes, painters tape, and new hardware.

It was a long process, because it took primer and around 6 coats of paint, with each coat sanded down so it was smooth. Now we can hide our tv, dvds and blankets!


And with the dolly, for good measure:
6 comments:
Wow! tell John congrats on finishing. It looks awesome :)
Wow- that is impressive!
I don't know if I'm more amazed by the coolness of the paint job or the miraculous haul job. Either way, how awesome!
You guys are a regular "Trading Spaces" team! Impressive indeed!
Very nice
That looks amazing! Good job, John!
Post a Comment