Sunday, October 21, 2007

South Dakota

I got back yesterday from my trip to the Midwest...

Me and my coworker Sarah, in the "Old Market" area downtown. I really liked Omaha- I didn't go there often when I was at Dordt, but this time around I got to spend a little more time there.

After the conference, I went up to South Dakota to visit my parents and Bridget...

Bridget, in honor of my love of all things tater tot, made a delicious tater tot casserole (one of my favorite comfort foods). It was great to catch up and play a round of Trivial Pursuit!

At Nick's house, I got to see some of the work my parents have been doing. The place is looking really great- here's a pic of the shower in the upstairs bedroom that they built. They designed the tile work- my Dad cut the tiles, and my mom installed them. It was really impressive!

On Saturday, my parents took me and Bridget to an auction just across the border in Iowa. Three generations of a family had lived in a huge house in the country, and were moving out. It was amazing to see all the stuff they had collected over the years. There were several beautiful quilts that went for quite a bit of money. We didn't get to stay for the whole thing, and when we had to leave 3 hours into it, they weren't even half way done. It was a lot of fun. I made a few bids on a couple of things, with the help of my mom as translator of the auctioneer lingo. I'm excited to take John to one the next time we visit.

There were tons of Asian beetles (which were brought to the US by the USDA) around my parents' house. They look basically like yellow or orange lady bugs. Farmers have started harvesting corn, and as the fields are cut down, the beetles have come around the house. I took this picture from the upstairs window of my parent's house:

2 comments:

karen said...

Wow, that shower is very impressive! But tater tot casserole? I guess I can't knock it till I've tried it....

Anonymous said...

That bathroom looks beautiful! I would love to redo ours....can your parents come and do it? haha J/k! You look great Donna! miss ya
Karri