I recently found out that I am what's known as a hard stick. In other words, it's hard to get blood out of me. This morning I went to get some labwork done for the Peace Corps medical exam, and I needed to fill 4 vials. Disaster was averted though, as she bypassed the digging around in my arms for a vein (which is what usually happens) and went straight for the hand. It worked. I don't know how so much blood comes out of such a tiny vein.
Also, John and I have a theory that it's the large, tattooed, biker guys that are most likely to pass out while giving blood.
9 years ago

3 comments:
That sounds painful! Is it four little vials? Peace Corps Volunteers must be the healthies people in the world.
Donna, I nearly vomitted when I read this entry. Seriously. It brought back not too distant memories of my physical last week. The nurse couldn't find my vein either. I almost passed out. How did she get all that blood out of your finger?
bridget, the vials are around 3 inches long i think. there's so many because there were 2 types of hiv tests, which i think had a whole vial to themselves.
cristina, i sorry i brought back bad memories!! the nurse actually got the blood out of a vein on the back of my hand. she had to pat my hand for a while and warm it up before she could do it. i've had this done before, where it was really painful and they didn't get even half of a vial out, but this lady was awesome. it didn't hurt any worse than the arm, and enough came out.
Post a Comment