Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Swim Fever


Yesterday I went swimming on my lunch break with my friend Elaine, who's training for an Olympic distance triathlon (Wow!). It was so nice to escape from the office and enjoy a little water and sunshine.

I couldn't remember the last time I had been swimming. I've never really been a swimmer, besides when I was a kid growing up in Arizona, where it was practically mandatory. I didn't learn any strokes then- I was just content to swim around pretending to be a dolphin or mermaid. I adopted the breast stroke as my only way to get around any sort of long distance. So yesterday that was what I mainly did. I tried to freestyle a little, but felt like I was flailing around, finding a more effective way to get water in my nose. Then Elaine showed me a few tips, which helped a lot. I love the feeling of gliding through the water and feeling the weight of the water under my palms when I propel myself forward. I think that I'm hooked.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo!

Bridget said...

I love that you pretend you're a mermaid or dolphin!

Anonymous said...

oh- that was when i was little- i'm much more mature now ;-)