Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Winternationals


My brother Lewis has been working on a pit crew for Jay Payne Racing. He's a highly trained mechanic and works on their alcohol powered funny car, which is a drag racing car. The races are super short (a quarter mile), with the cars going incredibly fast. This picture is from the Winternationals in Pomona, CA, where Jay Payne won Top Alcohol Funny Car. This particular race was over in 5.603 seconds, with the top speed of 254.95 miles per hour. This year Lew's working some in their garage in southern California and following the races around the country. He just got back from spending a few weeks in Florida.

3 comments:

Cristina said...

WOW! I bet he is loving that!
I worked with a guy at the furniture store that races Legends and one other kind. We went to watch him last summer- what a rush.
If you drove 250 miles down the highway, I wonder how much the police officer would give you a ticket for (granted you didn't crash or take out any pedestrians).

Anonymous said...

I think people get arrested if they go over a certain speed...I think it might be something like 120, but I'm not sure. Just heard stories about it before. Maybe you should try it for us to find out ;)

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool. I always wanted to go to winternationals but have never gone. My sister Laura said she could here the races during school when she was going to Laverne University which I believe was a couple of miles away! My cousin Nathan I think would also be very jealous!