Tuesday, April 25, 2006

open water?

Today, during lunch, Elaine and I went for our usual Tuesday swim. It was my longest one yet- 38 minutes! I found myself daydreaming while I was swimming about whether I would ever want to swim in open water, like Elaine has done for triathlons. I imagine that swimming for a long time without having to turn at each length of the pool would be a little exciting and freeing. Today the pool was more crowded than usual, so the water was not as calm as it usually is. The guy swimming in the lane next to me made a huge wake, and I found myself taking an unexpected gush of water to the nose a couple of times. This is what I imagine swimming in open water might be like...a little less tranquil and a little more water in the nose. And I think that northern California water might be a little too frigid for me. Even in a wet suit. But I think I would be easily convinced to try it in warmer waters...in Fiji, for instance.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right! Open water you have much more of a chance of getting a wave in the face. And don't forget the current. Swimming a mile in the pool is about 45 min for me...in the lake make that 55 min. No walls to push off to get extra distance...and you got it...FREEZING your tushie and face off. Fiji would be nice. But I would prefer a lake to the ocean any day! You'll have to come lake swimming with me in the summer sometime :)

Anonymous said...

OOO- that sounds fun. What temperature is the lake in the summer?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..not sure...but it's warmer :)

erein said...

Warm enough you don't have to wear a wetsuit. And it's a lot of fun. Sometimes you see fish. And it's extremely relaxing to be out in the water with the sun coming down, and not having to worry about getting run over by the fat guy in the speedo sharing your lane. :)

Anonymous said...

It's sounding more and more tempting!