
We've been in dire need of dining room chairs for a long time now. The other weekend on one of our thrift store excursions we spotted four old "drop seat" wooden chairs with crappy padding on them. We got a really good deal on them, because, as the girl at the checkout counter said with teenage disdain, "those are really old." John has done a lot of furniture restoration in the past and has always been interested in learning about upholstery, so we figured that these chairs would be a good first project for him. Here are the before pictures.


We went to the fabric store and picked out some fabric we liked- we also had to get padding to replace the old filling of the cushions. John did a lot of work fixing the loose joints and waxing and polishing the chairs, besides fashioning the new cushions.


4 comments:
Nice job. I just purchased a set of 6 chairs and a table to redo for our kitchen table. I like the fabric you chose.
Impressive work John!
That's so great that you are learning to restore furniture. I'm a big fan of the fabric you chose too!
Do you think perhaps I might ask some advice now that you are the expert? :) We have a really amazing sofa (half moon sectional) that I inherited from my mentor when she passed away. Two of the buttons are loose (or off) and I don't know how to get in there and reattach them. Any ideas?
Hmmm...I'll have to ask John. I think it would depend on how it's constructed. If you send me a picture of it, I can show him- he has a book on upholstery.
Post a Comment