A triathlon for fun. Yes, such things do exist. A few months ago I would've thought that doing a triathlon, even "for fun", would be ridiculously crazy. But I'm actually thinking about doing one this summer....or maybe in the fall. Maybe it would be only a little bit crazy.
I've gotten into swimming regularly the last couple of months, and have been learning about the world of triathlons from my friend Elaine. I started swimming because I wanted to get some exercise and spend more time outside- after sitting on a chair in an office all day. And then last Saturday I got some new running shoes and went to the track with Elaine for my first run. Well, technically a walk/run. I have always hated running and could never understand people who did it for fun. But here I am, and I think I might like the challenge.
I think I like the idea of training for a triathlon more than the actual event- setting goals, having a directed schedule. We'll see how it goes. I've added a link to my training blog (on the left) that I actually started a couple months ago, before having any desire to run or bike. If I did do a triathlon, it would be a sprint distance one, with a .5 mile swim (in a lake), an 16 mile bike ride, and a 3 mile run. But hey- I could always speed walk the run, right? It wouldn't take too much longer.
9 years ago

13 comments:
The fall? Come on...July is great :)
I have to give myself options so I don't freak out ;-)
Ok, the fall is an option :). But I think you'll be plenty ready for July.
Hey when you go here:
http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1279076
It says that the swim is only 400 meters, and the bike less....I wonder what the deal is. Thats what I thought the distances were....
hahahaaa! Elaine has pulled you in! There's no escaping now! Just kidding. I think it would be a lot of fun and having a training schedule definitely does make you more committed (it did for me).
Yay for support! I emailed the guy about the distances...we'll figure it out. I have a feeling it is the longer one though...cause I saw something about the "NEW" half mile swim!
Karen! I'm so glad you have a blog! I can't believe how close it's getting to the big day! :-)
So, Donna. I'm very impressed with your interest in excersising. I must admit I have a few questions to make the picture in my head more clear. Do you now actually own work-out type clothes and some sort of expensive running shoes? How about a bike that wasn't made in 1950? Or can you use vintage things in the tri?
Hey Donna - I answered your question regarding Jonas' name on my blog today.
Elaine, thanks for checking into the distances for me!
Megan, yes, I do own exercise-type cloths. I do have yet to get an exercise-type swim suit, but apparently you can swim in your bike shorts at the tri (who knew?) As for the running shoes- I just got those last weekend. As for the bike- I don't have one of those yet (they're a bit expensive), but am hoping to find one to borrow! I'm going to start going to the spinning class at my gym until that happens. Although I think Sarah De Hoog now owns my bike from Dordt- perhaps I should buy it back from her and use that one? Hehe.
No worries Donna, we'll get you on a bike. :) I'm queen of the extra bikes and I have one just for you. You are going to LOVE tri for fun. Kinda makes me wish I was doing it...hmmmm... ;)
maybe you should do it- the more friendly faces, the better :-)
and thanks so much for letting me borrow a bike for monday- i really owe you one!
Maybe. :) I'll see if I can come and cheer you all on and be "sherpa" support! :) And no worries on the bike; I seem to have plenty. :/
As Elaine said, you'd be plenty ready in July. I did my first "for fun" tri last year (before I turned 40) and it took me about 3.5 mos. You sound like you're in better shape than I was so you'd be ready. Once you start, it would be hard to stop.
Post a Comment