Sunday, June 11, 2006

babies on ice

Today I went to a baby shower for my friend Karen that I co-hosted with Elaine and two relatives of the mother-to-be. It was a lot of fun. We got to plan a few games for the party (you would not believe the multitude of baby-related games out there). We played one game that involved tiny plastics babies, which were frozen in ice cubes. The idea was that everyone gets a baby, and over time they have to anxiously watch their baby and wait for it to be "born", or melt free from the ice cube. Fun game, but there was a bit of a logistical issue with the babies, as they melted a bit on the way to the shower, and I didn't have enough time to refreeze them all the way. So everyone had a super short labor, as it were, and a couple of the babies were born within a minute or two. Luckily we had more games, including the "dirty diaper" game, which I also have some pictures for, but I decided to spare you the visual, since they looked pretty realistic. Let's just say melting and mashing a candy bar in a diaper, and then passing it around for people to smell it is pretty hilarious. On a side note, here's a picture of the bow we designed for the present from me and Elaine. We were very proud of our creation.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo of the babies! And cheers to us for pulling off the party ;)

karen said...

Thank you so much, Donna! Yes, the pacifier bow was amazing--I didn't get to admire it long but I will more later ;). I liked the 'frozen fetuses' and the yummy diapers. I loved everything about the shower, you guys are the best!

judith said...

The "babies on ice" kinda look creepy. I guess one has to see it in person to appreciate their cuteness?

Bridget said...

Ha! I knew I wasn't the only one who found this creepy. Creative, but creeeeeeepy.

Heather said...

I too was thinking it looked kinda creepy, but it also sounds hilarious so next time I find myself planning a baby shower I may need to steal that one...where did you find those creepy plastic babies?

Bridget said...

Donna, I think you should take a close-up of the babies' faces so everyone can see the adult features they have.

Anonymous said...

Elaine found them at a Dollar Tree store. Just make sure you freeze them totally before you play it!

I'll see what I can do about a more detailed picture of their faces tonight.

They do look a little sci-fi in the ice cube tray, like they're in little pods or something. But in a fun "look at all the little babies" sort of way. When you see them in person, with their little baby feet sticking out of the water, it's pretty funny. I guess it's just something you have to witness first hand.

And you probably need to not have an aversion to baby shower games in general.